231 BEST Motivational Hockey Quotes (Selected)
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, which can provide compensation to me at no cost to you if you decide to purchase. This site is not intended to provide financial advice and is for entertainment only.
Hockey is an intense, fast-paced game that requires a combination of physical and mental skills.
It's no wonder it has inspired so many brilliant quotes over the years!
From Wayne Gretzky to Sidney Crosby, hockey players have shared some inspiring words about the sport they love.
Here are 231 of the best motivational hockey quotes from legends of the game.
Whether you're looking for motivation on or off the ice, these quotes will help get you in the right mindset to achieve your goals.
So let's get started with some wise words from famous hockey stars!
1. “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.” – Michael Jordan
2. “You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take.” – Wayne Gretzky
3. "Good is not good when better is expected." – Vin Scully
4. “Hockey is a unique sport in the sense that you need each and every guy helping each other and pulling in the same direction to be successful."– Wayne Gretzky
Buy this IDEAL Henoyso 24 Pcs Hockey Gifts Hockey Bracelets for Boys Hockey!
5. “If you train hard, you'll not only be hard, you'll be hard to beat."– Herschel Walker
6. “Success isn’t owned; It's leased - And rent is due everyday!” - Jameis Winston
7. "The highest compliment that you can pay me is to say that I work hard every day."- Wayne Gretzky
8. “Sometimes there are no answers… You just have to believe"― Martin Brodeur
9. "To succeed in hockey,you need teamwork"
10. “You just have to believe in yourself and be confident"― Sidney Crosby
11. "If you want something do it, don't wait for someone else to do it for you." ― Alexander Ovechkin
Buy this IDEAL Neon Lights Retro Eat Sleep Repeat Gaming Gamer Quotes Quote Poster Picture!
12. “The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team." – Phil Jackson
13. "It's not about being better than someone else, but being better than yesterday."― Connor McDavid
14. "Lose the battle…not your dream!" ― Bobby Orr
15. "'A lot of people gave up on me - I didn't give up on myself" ― Jaromir Jagr
16. “I think desire has a huge impact on where you go in life” – Steven Stamkos
17. “Hockey players wear numbers because you can’t always identify the body with dental records” – Anonymous
18. “Whenever there was an opportunity to contribute something positive or inspiring, that's what I wanted to do" - Patrick Kane
19 . "Luck? Sure, I'll take luck...but I'd rather make my own breaks"-
20. “The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination" - Tom Seaver
21. "You have to believe in yourself when no one else does” – Serena Williams
22. “It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get up." - Vince Lombardi
23. “Hockey is like any sport: You work hard, play hard and anything can happen"― Joe Sakic
24. "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships."- Michael Jordan
Buy this IDEAL KAWAHONE Inspirational Canvas Painting Wall Art, Grind Hustle Execution Motivational Wall Art Success!
25. “What counts isn't necessarily what you achieve on the ice—it's how much effort and dedication went into getting there" ― Martin Brodeur
26 .”If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you!”― Ovechkin
27. "Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do."– Jeff Olson
28 . "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard". – Kevin Durant
29 . “You miss 100% of the shots that don’t take” – Wayne Gretzky
30. “Leadership is practiced not so much in words as in attitude and in actions” – Harold S Geneen
31. “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it” – Warren Buffet
32. "You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get" - Michael Phelps
33. "Success isn't owned; It's leased - And rent is due everyday!"-Jameis Winston
Buy this IDEAL Retro Baseball Posters Educational Motivational Wall Art Canvas Inspirational Quotes Pictures !
34. “No matter how good you are at something, there’s always about a million people better than you" ― Sidney Crosby
35."A Goal without Action is just an Illusion."― Ray Lewis
36. “The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" - Arthur C Clarke
37 ."If your dreams don't scare you then they're not big enough"- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
38 . "Strive for progress, not perfection"– Unknown
39 . “To be successful, passion has to turn into purpose” – TJ Oshie
40 ."Be relentless--even when things aren't going
41. "Go hard, or go home"― Jaromir Jagr
42. “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up."– Vince Lombardi
43. “Everyone has the fire, but the champions know when to ignite the spark” – Amit Ray
44. “When something is important enough; You do it even if the odds are not in your favor" - Elon Musk
45 . "The only way to prove that you're a good sport is to lose."- Ernie Banks
46 ."Don't be afraid of failure; Be afraid of regret"- Joe Sakic
47 ."You don't have to be great to start but you have to start in order for greatness!" ― Sidney Crosby
48 . "Winning is habit and unfortunately so is losing" ― Wayne Gretzky
49. “Champions keep playing until they get it right” - Billie Jean King
50 . "Success doesn't happen overnight--you need patience & consistency."―Marina Abramovic
51. "The only way to get better is through hard work and dedication"― Wayne Gretzky
52. “It’s a team game, and it takes everybody doing their job for you to be successful” – Alexander Ovechkin
Buy this IDEAL Stephen Curry Art Print Poster, Inspirational Success Canvas Wall Art !
53. “I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been" ― Wayne Gretzky
54. “You can always push yourself harder than anyone else thinks you should” – Mark Spitz
55."If you want something in life, reach out and grab it."― Sidney Crosby
56 . "Leadership at its best means diligent preparation and courageous action" ― Marian Gaborik
57 . “Every day is a new opportunity; You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again!” -Matt Biondi
58 ."Believe in yourself—no dream is too big!"- Connor McDavid
59 . "Nothing good ever comes easy—you have to fight for what you want!" - Jonathan Toews
60 ."Reach your goals with determination & passion!"-- Anze Kopitar
61. “The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; The size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way” – Robert Kiyosaki
62. “If you want to succeed, you have to believe in something with such a passion that it becomes a reality!”― Bobby Orr
63. "Always give 110%, no matter what." - Mario Lemieux
64 . "Limitless dedication leads to limitless achievement"― Alexander Ovechkin
Buy this IDEAL Babe Ruth - Never Let The Fear - Great Motivational and Inspiring Baseball Quote Poster!
65 . “You must have short-term goals to keep you from being overwhelmed by the long term goal”– Wayne Gretzky
66 ."Success is not an accident, it's hard work!" ― Henrik Lundqvist
67 ."Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough"- Martin Brodeur
68 . "It starts with willingness: If we're willing and eager, then opportunity reveals itself" – Sidney Crosby
69 . “Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
70 ."Your dreams are only as big as your courage allows them to be."― Patrick Kane
71. "Keep your emotions in check, but never lose your fire"― Martin St. Louis
72. “If it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you” – Fred Shero
73 . "Don't be afraid to fail--it's the only way to grow!"– Wayne Gretzky
Buy this IDEAL Franklin Sports NHL Street Hockey Balls - No Bounce Outdoor Street + Roller Hockey Balls!
74 . “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”-—Wayne Gretzky
75 . “Success isn't owned; It's leased and rent is due every day!” - JT Miller
76 ."Your determination will move mountains"― Sidney Crosby
77 . "I learned I had to work for what I wanted and that nothing was going to come easy." - Pavel Datsyuk
78 ."When opportunity arises, fight with all your might". ― Henrik Zetterberg
79 ."The harder you practice, the luckier you get"- Mark Messier
80 ."Believe in yourself: You have untapped potential within"― Patrick Kane
81. “It’s important to have confidence, but you need to know your limits” – Jaromír Jágr
82. "Develop a strong work ethic, then never stop working"― Henrik Sedin
83 . "The only way to become the best is by commitment and hard work"- Jonathan Quick
84 ."There's no substitute for hard work." ― Martin Brodeur
85 ."Confidence comes from success in practice" - Eric Staal
86 . “You can do anything as long as you believe in yourself” – Pavel Bure
Buy this IDEAL Rustic Soccer Football Baseball Basketball on Vintage Wood Grain Floor Fine Art Prints Sports Decor Soccer!
87 ."Success requires dedication and consistency"― Steven Stamkos
88 ."Never give up on something that you really want" ― Joe Thornton
89 . “If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you!”—Bobby Hull
90 ."Always strive for excellence!"― Alex Pietrangelo
91. “If you don’t believe in yourself, no one will believe in you”― Jaromír Jágr
92. "Never let your fear of failure stop you from taking a chance" - Evgeni Malkin
93 . “You have to be prepared to work hard and make sacrifices if you want success” – Teemu Selänne
94 ."Always be determined and stay hungry for success."― Zack Parise
95 ."Be relentless: Do whatever it takes to achieve greatness!" ― John Tavares 96 . “It always seems impossible until it's done!”-NHL Official Motto
97 ."Focus on the process, not just the goals"-- Auston Matthews
98 . "One day or day one—you decide!" ― Nathan MacKinnon
99 ."When the going gets tough, the tough get going!" - Braden Holtby
Buy this IDEAL Eat Sleep Hockey Repeat!
100. “The harder I work, the luckier I get "- Brett Hull
101. “Every day is a new opportunity to become better” – Henrik Lundqvist
102. "You have the potential for greatness inside you"― Matt Duchene
103 . “Small steps lead to big accomplishments”–Cam Talbot
104 ."There are always opportunities available when you work hard." ― Anze Kopitar
105."Don't let failure hold you back; Learn from it, and keep going!"― Drew Doughty
106 . “Success isn't final; Failure isn't fatal: It's courage that counts!” - Sidney Crosby
107 ."Never take shortcuts in life--they will catch up with you eventually"― Erik Karlsson
108 ."Good things come to those who hustle"‐ Patrick Marleau
109. “Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it. The victorious performance itself is merely the demonstration of their championship character.”—Alan Ameche
110 ."Respect your opponents as if they were your teacher!" -- Jonathan Toews
111. “Don’t limit yourself, challenge yourself and greatness awaits you." - Vincent Lecavalier
112. “Work hard in silence and let success make the noise." – Henrik Lundqvist
Buy this IDEAL Hockey Player 3D Lamp Night Lights for Kids 7 LED Color Changing Touch Table Desk Lamps Lighting Cool Toys Gifts Birthday Xmas Decoration for Sports Hockey Fan!
113. "Train like a champion to become one!" — Alex Ovechkin
114 . "You have to be willing to put everything on the line"-- Connor McDavid
115 . “The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra” –Wayne Gretzky
116 ."Never give up no matter how hard it gets"― John Carlson
117 . “A champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall”—Sidney Crosby
118 ."Stay focused, stay disciplined, always believe in your dreams" -- Steven Stamkos
119 . “Success isn't owned; It's leased and rent is due every day!” - JT Miller
120 ."Courage allows them to be." ― Patrick Kane
121. "The will to win is nothing without the will to prepare" - Joe Sakic
122. “Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish” – John Quincy Adams
123. "To be successful you must accept all challenges that come your way." ― Gordie Howe
124. “Success means doing the best we can with what we have. Success is the doing, not the getting; in the trying, not the triumph” - Zig Ziglar
125. “You'll never know how good your limits are until you push them” – Mark Messier
Buy this IDEAL OhaPrints Hockey You Miss 100% Of The Shots Inspirational Quote Sports Motivational Saying Gift Poster!
126. "Dedication breeds success"― Phil Kessel
127. “Good things come to those who work hard for it!” -- Bobby Clarke
128."Don't fear failure--fear being in the exact same place next year as you are today!" ― Carey Price
129."Hard work always beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough."- Jari Kurri
130. “When you want something bad enough, there's no stopping you from achieving it!”—Corey Perry
131. “When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful” – Eric Thomas
132. "The strength of a team is each individual member" ― Pavel Datsyuk
133. “You miss 100% of the shots you don't take”- Wayne Gretzky
134 . "Success isn't given; it's earned" -- Derek Stepan
135 . “Learn from yesterday, live for today and hope for tomorrow." –Mario Lemieux
136 ."Don't let failure define who you are!" -- Pekka Rinne
137 ."Always find ways to fight through adversity"—Henrik Zetterberg
138 . “No matter how difficult the challenge may seem, never give up!" - Taylor Hall
Buy this IDEAL Hockey Poster Personalized American Flag Ice Hockey Prints For Hockey Player!
139 ."A winner never stops trying."― Joe Thornton
140. “Winning doesn’t always mean being first, winning means you're doing better than you've done before” – Bonnie Blair
141. “If you don’t practice, you don’t deserve to win.” –Wayne Gretzky
142. "Take the risk or lose the chance." ― Jamie Benn
143. “It's never too late to try something new and succeed at it!” - Ryan Miller
144 . "The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win" -- Henrik Sedin
145 . “Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up!”– Sylvester Stallone
146 ."Success is determined by effort plus attitude"― John Tavares
147 ."Happiness doesn't come from success; success comes from happiness"‐ Mats Sundin
148 ."Achievement of your goals requires un-remitting efforts in a consistent direction" – Teemu Selanne
149 . “Make sure every day you take one step toward achieving your dreams and goals!"-- Braden Holtby
150 . "You have no limits on what can be achieved when believing in yourself." ― Sidney Crosby
151. “If you want something, work for it!” – Jarome Iginla
152. "You have to believe in yourself when no one else does" ― Drew Doughty
Buy this IDEAL OhaPrints Personalized Hockey Poster & Framed Canvas, I Am A Goalie - Motivational Sports Quotes!
153. “A positive attitude can really make dreams come true - it did for me” – David Bailey
154. "It's not just the victory that counts; it's how you reach the goal." -- Ryan Nugent Hopkins
155 . “Fear is temporary, regret is forever”– Alexander Ovechkin
156 . "Success starts with hard work and dedication!"― Jonathan Toews
157 ."Only those who risk going too far will discover how far they can go."-- Brent Burns
158 . “Set goals and don't stop until you attain them!”-- Evgeni Malkin
159 ."The most important thing is to enjoy your life—to be happy—it's all that matters." -- Marc-Andre Fleury
160 . “Don't give up on your dreams! Keep sleeping and believing and if you get knocked down, stand right back up!” — Nicklas Backstrom
161. “Every failure is one step closer to success” – Chris Chelios
162. "It's not about winning or losing, but about trying your best"― Steven Stamkos
163. “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have”– Jaromir Jagr
164 . "Success is a process, not an event." -- Claude Giroux
165 ."The most important thing in life isn't the triumphs and successes; it's overcoming the losses and hardships." – Patrick Kane
Buy this IDEAL Custom Hockey Boy Vintage Retro Player Fan Gift Idea!
166 ."When things get too tough, turn up your intensity!" ― Ilya Kovalchuk
167 . “The way to succeed or reach any goal lies within yourself”—Martin Brodeur
168 ."Goals change the world!"-- Alexander Ovechkin
169. “Most of us don't understand our true potential until we experience adversity" - Joe Sakic
170 . "Be patient, be positive and keep pushing forward no matter what happens." ― Nicklas Lidstrom
171 . “Dare to dream bigger than ever before! The sky is NOT the limit!”- Sidney Crosby
172. “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard” – Pavel Datsyuk
173. “You have to give something back because no one gets where they are on their own.” – Eric Staal
174 . "Success isn't just about winning; it's about improving continuously." -- Henrik Lundqvist
175 . “It’s not always the size of the dog in a fight, but the size of fight in the dog!”– Gordie Howe
176 . "Believe you can and you're halfway there."― Phil Kessel
177 ."The only way to get better is to push yourself!"-- Shane Doan
178 . “Make sure every day counts and be proud of what you accomplish everyday"-- Roberto Luongo
Buy this IDEAL Hockey Wall Art Life Lessons Posters Canvas !
179 ."Take calculated risks. That is quite different from being rash" - Daniel Alfredsson
180 . “Success isn't final, failure isn't fatal: it's courage that counts." ― Martin St Louis
181 ."If at first you don't succeed try again... then quit, no use being a fool about it." — Wayne Simmonds
182. "Attitude is everything so make yours great" -- John Tavares
“It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves” – Henrik Zetterberg
"Dream big and don't worry about who says it can't be done." ― Rick Nash
183. “Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.” – John Wooden
184. “It always seems impossible until it's done."― Gordie Howe
185 . "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -- Wayne Gretzky
186. “Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about”– Sidney Crosby
187 . "The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory"-- Pavel Bure
188 ."You will never achieve success if keep giving up when things gets tough!"-- Joe Thornton
189 . “If opportunity doesn’t knock, then build a door!”– Maurice Richard
190 . "Be persistent and never let anyone discourage or limit your dreams!" ― Jonathan Quick
191 ."No matter what challenges life throws at me I know I'm strong enough to handle them" -- Evgeni Malkin
192 . “Make sure every day counts, be proud of what you accomplish everyday!”- Henrik Sedin
Buy this IDEAL "Hockey Life Lessons" Inspirational Quotes Wall Art Decor - 11 x14" Motivational Poster Print for Players !
193 ."The sky is not the limit - reach for greatness!"‐ Brad Richards
194. “Achievement starts with choosing a goal and then taking steps to reach it.” – Alexander Ovechkin
"You can't put a limit on anything, the more you dream the farther you get." ― Jaromir Jagr
“Don’t stop until your dreams become reality!”
195. “Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion; you must set yourself on fire” – Arnold Horshak
196. "Don't be afraid to make mistakes, just don't make the same mistake twice." -- Sidney Crosby
197. “You can never quit, winners never quit and quitters never win” – Mario Lemieux
198 . "It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get up"-- Alexander Ovechkin
199 ."The key is not the will to win… everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important." ― Bobby Orr
200 . “For every failure there's an alternative course of action. You just have to find it”– Wayne Gretzky
201. “The power of will is tremendous, it can even overpower the strengths of natural skill” – Mike Babcock
202. "Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today." -- Steve Yzerman
203 . “Success isn’t just about winning; it's about improving continuously"― Joe Thornton
204 ."You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"-- Mario Lemieux
205 . "It doesn't matter how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get back up!" ― Evgeni Malkin
206 . “How bad do you want it? That should always be the question!”- Jaromir Jagr
Buy this IDEAL OhaPrints Custom Hockey Life Lessons Inspirational Quote Motivational Personalized Name Number Poster & Framed Canvas !
207. “Every day presents a new opportunity to make your dreams come true if only you have the courage to pursue them!” – Bobby Ryan
208 . "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard." ― Phil Kessel
209. “To succeed in life and achieve results, we must understand that failure is not an option—it's part of success.”– Teemu Selanne
210 . "If at first you don't succeed try again... then quit, no use being a fool about it." -- Henrik Zetterberg
211. "You don't have to be the best, you just have to try your best." -- Henrik Lundqvist
212. “The only way to prove you are a good sport is by play well and losing” – Jarome Iginla
213 . "If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you"-- Joe Sakic
214 . “Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it!”– Wayne Simmonds
215 ."Victory loves preparation" -- Alexander Ovechkin
216 . “Believe in yourself even when no one else does!” - Brad Richards
217 ."It's not about being the biggest or strongest; it's about doing things that nobody else can do!"― Sidney Crosby
Buy this IDEAL I am a Hockey Goalie Poster No Frame Or Framed Canvas !
218. “Courage grows with experience” – Maurice Richard
219 ."Success isn't handed out on silver platters - hard work will always get results." ― Jonathan Quick
220. “Actions speak louder than words…and they turn dreams into reality!”– Phil Kessel
221. “No matter how tough the challenge, always trust in yourself!” – Joe Sakic
222 . "You won't know what you can do until you try!"-- Henrik Sedin
223. “The only way to be truly successful is by facing challenges head on and never giving up”– Pavel Bure
224 ."If you want something done right, do it yourself"-- Evgeni Malkin
225 . “Success comes to those who work hard and dream big!”– Mario Lemieux
226."Winning is a habit; success is a choice" -- Steve Yzerman
227. “Believe in the power of your dreams and never give up hope!” – Jaromir Jagr
228 ."The harder you practice, the luckier you get"-- Bobby Orr
229. “Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man; but sooner or later the one who wins will be the guy who thinks he can." – Mike Babcock
Buy this IDEAL Trends International NHL Toronto Maple Leafs-Auston Matthews 21 Wall Poster!
230 . "Failure isn't final unless you stop trying!" -- Alexander Ovechkin
231. “Achievements require hard work and perseverance; if you want to succeed, never give up!” – Teemu Selanne
Cactus Lands site is a valuable resource, but when it comes to matters of pet's health, always consult with a trained veterinary medical professional.
Never rely solely on digital information.
Taking into account your individual situation will help you make the best decisions for the well-being of your companion pet.
Cactus Lands site serves as an informative resource, but should never be used to diagnose or treat a medical condition of either you or your pet.
When it comes to the health of your pet, always consult with a qualified veterinary medical professional for the best advice and care tailored specifically for you and your pet!
Cactus Lands site and the materials and information it contains are not intended to, and do not constitute, medical, veterinarian, or other health advice or diagnosis and should not be used as such.
You should always consult with a qualified physician or veterinary health professional about your specific circumstances.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, which can provide compensation to me at no cost to you if you decide to purchase. This site is not intended to provide financial advice and is for entertainment only.